It’s time to shed the layers of clothing and the heavy comfort foods of winter and celebrate the onset of springtime with a light and airy dessert. A sponge cake filled with fresh, in-season strawberries and fluffy pillows of soft cream is the perfect sweet treat for this time of year.
1¾ cups self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
Pinch of salt
1¼ cups caster sugar
5 tbsp hot water
1½ tsp butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
300mL thickened cream, whipped
15 large strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly brush two 23cm round cake tins with some melted butter, dust with a little flour and line the bases of the tins with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, sift together the salt and flour, then set aside.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks; gradually add the caster sugar, beating until thick. Lightly beat the egg yolks and gently fold them into the egg-white mixture. Lightly and evenly fold in the sifted flour. Fold in the melted butter and hot water quickly, being careful not to overbeat.
- Pour batter into prepared tins and bake for 30 minutes, until the cakes spring back when you lightly touch them.
- When cakes are completely cool, top one half with whipped cream.
- Using one hand, squeeze the strawberries a little to release the juices. Spoon strawberries over the cream and top with other cake. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
If you like this springy dessert, try our equally berrylicious summer-season trifle.
Top tip: Excited about the warmer weather? There’s nothing like a good spring clean to shed any signs of winter. It’s also a great reminder to clean your dishwasher with Finish Dishwasher Cleaner.