From scraping plates to keeping your dishwasher in peak condition, our essential tips all in one place.
Follow our top performance tips to make sure your dishwasher gives great results every time.
- Scrape the plates before putting them in the dishwasher, but don’t rinse them – there’s no need. If your machine has one, use a soak or pre-wash program for very dirty pans.
- Stack the dishwasher properly so the water can get everywhere. Not sure of the best way to do it? Look here.
- Make sure nothing’s in the way of the spray arm, like a large pot or a saucepan handle. Give it a spin to check before you press start.
- Follow the instructions on the detergent packet, making sure you use the right amount. Keep the detergent in a dry place, too, and use it before the expiry date. Old or damp detergent just doesn’t work very well.
- Use rinse aid. It stops your glasses getting spots and streaks, and helps everything dry thoroughly.
- Use dishwasher salt if you live in a hard water area.
- Now and again clean the door seal, filter, drain and spray arm to keep the dishwasher clean inside.
- Stop limescale and grease building up by using a dishwasher cleaner regularly.
Save money and energy
- Use eco, auto or a 50°C program for everyday washing.
- Run your machine only when it’s full (unless it has a half-load option).
- Recycle the packaging that comes with your dishwasher – and the packaging from detergent, rinse aid and other products.