Do prawns and avocado go well together? It might seem like an unusual combination, but with the right extra ingredients and a couple of cocktail glasses, this recipe is sure to be a hit for you and your family this summer! Try it for Christmas lunch or your next family barbecue – not only does it taste delicious, but the bright colours and chic presentation of this dish means it’s a beautiful table centrepiece that will enhance your celebration!
Recipe: Avocado and Prawn Cocktail
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cucumber
- ½ red capsicum
- ½ red onion
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 cups thinly-shredded iceberg lettuce (approximately 4 leaves)
- 20 cooked king prawns
Creamy Cocktail Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Dash of red Tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 martini glasses
- 4 lemon wedges
- Remove the prawn heads and peel away the shell and legs, but leave the tail on. Put the prawns to the side.
- Roughly dice the avocado, onion, cucumber and capsicum, then mix them together in a bowl.
- Clean the lettuce leaves and dry them, then place one decoratively in each martini glass.
- Divide the shredded lettuce between the glasses and place it at the bottom.
- Scatter the avocado mixture on top of the shredded lettuce.
- Make the cocktail sauce by mixing the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and Tabasco in a bowl, and whisk until it’s smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper and add extra Tabasco to taste.
- Evenly divide the peeled prawns between the glasses.
- Drizzle the cocktail sauce over the salad in each glass. Garnish with a lemon wedge and serve!
- For easy and yummy finger food, serve your prawn cocktail in a lettuce cup instead of a glass.
- You can substitute the mayonnaise in the cocktail sauce for double cream if needed.
- Similarly, tomato chutney can also be used in place of tomato sauce for a rustic edge.
- You can easily customise the salad to suit your tastes – other vegetables such as carrots or corn would make great additions!
- If you don’t have enough martini glasses for everyone, this dish also looks great in short lowball glasses.
The prawn cocktail has been a classic since it came to prominence in the ‘80s, and we think this zingy take on this classic dish is one of the best ways to serve seafood this summer. But, of course, prawns are such a versatile ingredient and can work with almost any dish – check out three other delicious ways to serve prawns here. Any of these recipes are sure to have your friends and family coming back for more! And cleaning up afterwards is as easy as loading the dishwasher with some Finish Quantum Max.