Italian is one of the heartiest and most delicious cuisines in the world. Made up of heavy pastas, flavourful home-made sauces and the chef’s weight in cheese, Italian fare is indulgent yet highly calorific. With the health food craze taking the world by storm, there’s a healthy alternative for almost every meal—including pasta! Get ready for a meal that will tingle the tastebuds, satisfy your stomach and leave the waistline untouched.
Healthy Family Pasta
Time: 1h 10 mins
2 carrots, grated finely
2 tomatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
500g turkey mince
2 cups tomato puree
3 tablespoons tomato paste
Parmesan cheese, to serve
4 medium zucchinis
3 tablespoons pesto
Optional: 1-2 serves of whole grain or gluten free pasta.
- Brown the onion and carrot in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the turkey mince and cook for 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Stir through the tomato paste, puree and diced tomatoes.
- Cover the pot and simmer over a low heat for 45 minutes.
- Using a mandolin slicer (or spiraliser if preferred), create long spaghetti-like strips of the zucchini.
- Toss zucchini strips in a saucepan on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add pesto and a dash of olive oil to the zucchini and toss quickly.
- Remove from heat and divide the zucchini up into 4 serving dishes.
- Top each dish with sauce and parmesan cheese to serve.
Note: Feel free to add in some (1 or 2 serves) whole grain or gluten-free pasta to bulk up the dish. The turkey mince can also be substituted with grass-fed beef or free-range chicken mince if desired.
So now you’ve finished cooking, it’s time to let Finish Quantum Max do the rest of the hard work. Load up the dishwasher, pop a Finish tablet in, and then relax and enjoy your hearty healthy pasta meal!