After a hearty winter meal, there’s nothing better than a scrumptious serving of rich chocolate lava cake.
This dessert is served warm (often with ice cream!) and is always a hit when the gooey molten centre oozes from the fluffy cake shell. This crowd pleaser is perfect for dinner parties and family events, and we’ve added an extra ingredient to really impress your guests.
Read on to find out how to take your chocolate lava cake to the next level!
Total time to prepare:
Total cooking time:
What you’ll need:
- 180g dark chocolate
- 250g butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 bag large marshmallows
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Add some fresh berries to serve for a sweet and juicy flavour.
- Drizzle some melted chocolate over your lava cake for a truly indulgent treat.
- Top with whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles as a special birthday surprise.
What to do:
- Microwave chocolate and butter together on medium-high for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Allow to cool.
- Grease 8 x 175ml ovenproof ramekins. Sprinkle with flour.
- Beat eggs and sugar for 8-10 minutes with an electric beater until thick and creamy.
- Add chocolate and butter mixture, then flour.
- Spoon mixture into ramekins.
- Press 1 large marshmallow into the centre of each dish and freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
- Place ramekins on a baking tray. Bake for 16 minutes or until just set.
- Stand to cool for 1 minute.
- Turn onto plates. Dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream.
- Stack your kitchenware into the dishwasher and use Finish Quantum for our best clean while you enjoy dessert.
Want some more yummy desserts to warm you up during the cooler seasons? Check out these delicious mug cake recipes and try not to drool!