Winter has well and truly hit Australia, and that can only mean one thing: it’s soup season! There’s nothing quite like a hot bowl of soup on a chilly day, and this delicious pumpkin soup recipe is the perfect option to add a touch of warmth to your mealtimes.
Easy, tasty and cheap to make, this creamy pumpkin soup recipe is sure to be a hit with your family and friends! And, what’s more, it can be customised to suit your personal tastes and preferences with Finish Simply Brilliant’s cooking secrets (find these below the recipe).
Perfect Pumpkin Soup
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- 1kg jap pumpkin, diced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 leek, sliced finely
- Garlic, crushed
- 125mL cooking cream
- 1L chicken stock
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- Olive oil
- Add oil to saucepan over mid heat.
- Add diced onion and leek to saucepan and cook until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Add garlic and other spices to saucepan and cook briefly, then add the pumpkin and chicken stock.
- Bring the pot to boil and let it simmer, covered, until the pumpkin is cooked through.
- After letting the pot cool slightly, blend the pumpkin mixture using a stick blender or food processor.
- Pour the soup back into the saucepan and mix through the cream on low heat.
- Season with salt, pepper and other spices to taste.
Want to know how to make your pumpkin soup even better? Here are our top cooking secrets:
- While you can use any type of pumpkin to make this soup, we recommend jap pumpkins for their forgiving texture and full flavour. Try to get one with a nice orange colour and firm skin – these are indicators of a better-tasting pumpkin!
- Make sure to sweat the onion at the start as this will add sweetness to the soup.
- Try roasting the pumpkin before cooking for a different flavour.
- Think about incorporating red Thai paste – it adds an interesting taste to the meal.
- Use homemade stock to achieve that rich flavour – it’s a great idea to make a large batch ahead of time and freeze it in portions.
Perfect for dinner with a side of garlic bread, this pumpkin soup can also easily be made in large quantities and frozen for lunches during the week. And to finish off the meal, check out our amazing mug cake recipes – these are the ideal winter desserts!