Cleaning your dishwasher should be a task you take on regularly to stop waste build-up that could block key parts of your machine. Have you found your dishwasher isn’t cleaning as well as it should be? The chances are it isn’t broken, but simply needs its monthly clean. So, if you want clean glasses and dishes, here's what you have to do.
What to use to clean your dishwasher
Try Finish Dishwasher Cleaner for a deep clean, to remove grease and limescale in the hidden parts and pipes of the dishwasher, leaving it clean and smelling fresh. Recommended usage is once every 3 months, however if heavy dishwasher usage or malfunctions and bad odours are detected it can be used more frequently/when in need.
How to clean the inside of your dishwasher
To clean inside of your dishwasher, follow these simple steps using Finish Dishwasher Deep Cleaner:
- Empty your dishwasher so that there is nothing left in it
- Take your bottle of Finish Dishwasher Deep Cleaner and instead of removing the cap, take off the sticker from the top of the bottle to expose a wax plug
- Place the Dishwasher Deep Cleaner bottle upside down inside the cutlery basket or anywhere in the bottom of the dish rack
- Close the dishwasher door and put your dishwasher on at least 60°C.
- After the cycle is complete and the dishwasher is off, remove the bottle and discard
How to clean the outside of your dishwasher
While our dishwashing cleaner covers everything inside your dishwasher, you’ll want to clean the outside too – that is, after all, the part that everyone sees! Clean the door and any buttons with a cloth and some hot soapy water for a dishwasher that looks as good on the outside as it does inside!
How often should I clean my dishwasher?
As a rule, we would recommend cleaning your dishwasher once every 3 months with our Finish Dishwasher Cleaner. However, there are some signs that will signal your dishwasher needs a clean:
- An unpleasant smell
- Food build-up in the filter of your machine
- Cutlery / crockery leaves a cycle covered with food or grease
- Rusting inside of the machine
- Food in the sprayer arm
- The machine getting clogged
For the latter, a quick fix is to ensure you’re always scraping off large bits of food before putting it in the dishwasher (this also helps you from wasting water pre-rinsing food off the plate!). Aside from the list above, there are also less obvious signs, such as build-up of grease and limescale occurring in the hidden but vital parts of your machine.
By knowing how and when to clean your dishwasher, you’re maintaining one of your most useful kitchen assets. You’ll not only keep your machine working at its best, but it’ll also make sure your dishes and glasses come out clean.
If you are after more regular maintenance of your machine, you can also use our Finish In Wash Dishwasher Cleaner tablets. They can be used once a month or on particularly full greasy loads. The In Wash Cleaner dishwasher tablets will clean your dishwasher, helping to remove grease, while your dishes are being cleaned (remember to use detergent too!).
More information on how to use our Finish In Wash Dishwasher Cleaner tablets.